Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Club Sandwich Conundrum

I have loved club sandwiches since I was a child . The perfect mix of toast, mayo and turkey essentially served on a BLT. All held together by colored frill picks and cut diagonally into quarters - heaven! Except in Pittsburgh. Since I moved to Pittsburgh 17 years ago I have to fight, claw and beg to get a properly made turkey club. No restaurant in the area wants to put mayo on the sandwich, even if the menu says it does!!!

I have gotten to the point that I am so worried about getting my mayo that I get a stomach ache waiting for my sandwich. The last time was at a local outlet of a national restaurant, where when I asked for the mayo on the sandwich, the server shook her head and said she'd ask, but the cooks just do what they want to do. Sometimes I've offered waitresses double tips for ensuring this, but rarely works.

Here's my problem:
  • Mayonnaise belongs on a club sandwich, unless a customer requests otherwise
  • After the sandwich is cut, disassembling it to add mayo is a mess
  • A club sandwich is best with fresh, warm toast and bacon
  • I don't have any frill picks at home

Does anyone know where I can get a classic turkey club in the Pittsburgh area served without an ulcer?

1 comment:

  1. I had a club at Max and Erma's in Shadyside last week, and I'm 90% sure it came with mayo on it.

    ReplyDelete